Friday, May 10, 2013

Yakisoba Anyone?

After doing some running around today dropping off paperwork at different offices all over this island Jason and I found ourselves with a little free time. We decided to try to find a sushi or noodle house to try. We drove to a semi-familiar area right off base looking for a particular restaurant (a recommendation) near a "big blue building." We exit the base and see 2 large blue buildings. One is on the left and one is on the right. My prediction is that this will happen often. We decide to wing it and find a parking spot. We get the stroller out of the trunk and continue towards the main road. We see a little Japanese man walking his dog and Jason decides he's going to ask him if there is anywhere to get Yakisoba (an Okinawan specialty item). After he corrects Jason's mispronunciation he points us in the right direction.
Let me set the scene. Jason, me and Colton with Colton's HUGE stroller (the umbrella stroller is still on its way here) walk into this little Japanese restaurant. There are 2 doors to get in. The first door opens onto only a sink where we wash our hands and then finally open the second door to enter the restaurant. We follow the people ahead of us (thank God for them) and choose a picture with a number on the front. We have to pay a machine and give the ticket that comes out to the woman behind the counter. Jason wanted the official "Yakisoba" there was a photo, but no number, thus causing some confusion. After much laughter on both sides, we had paid for our food and Colton and I were headed to find a seat while Jason got our sodas. I rolled the monstrosity of a stroller through the aisle the best I could but I was running over everyone's shoes and saying, "I'm sorry" in English because I haven't learned that Japanese phrase yet. I was a mess and everyone knew. There were booths and tables like any other restaurant, but there was also a spot you could sit on the floor with little mats and take off your shoes. Colton and I opted for this! Jason took the stroller and parked it outside so it was out of the way of everyone. After he came back and got settled in (after hitting his knees on the table and my laughing had everyone looking our way) we realized we were number 10, but how do you say "10" in Japanese? How will we know when it is our food that is ready?! Luckily the man behind the counter figured we had no clue and motioned in our direction when it was our turn. Our food was delicious and we had so much fun trying to figure out what we were doing. Did I mention you get a chunk of deep-fried hot dog that is cut to look like a little piece of a squid? We were so happy to have been successful that Jason wanted to try his hand at some Japanese. Aragatoo gozaimas - Thank you very much! (I'm not sure about the spelling). He practiced a few times and then on our way out he turned to the man, bowed and mumbled something similar to the phrase above. This made me crack up and in turn Jason did too. Anytime you leave somewhere laughing you know you had a good time.

1 comment:

  1. Please keep blogging about your experiences!! I am cracking up :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete