Friday, May 17, 2013

Just another day on the Island

Today I had a couch and a king-sized bed delivered to our little Japanese apartment. When we told our realtor, Miki, that we were wanting to fit a king-sized bed into our bedroom he laughed out loud. He said, "Nooooo!" We made the measurements and decided it was going to be tight, but well worth it. Especially seeing as how it was the whole reason we didn't have our queen sized bed brought over here. The bed was no problem fitting through the door, it was the couch we were worried about. Jason measured that too and by the looks of it, it wasn't going to fit through the front door. One of our realtors co-workers told us that they do all sorts of things to get them to fit; take doors off hinges, remove patio doors and even hoist over the balcony (even if we are on the 4th floor). Luckily enough - the couch slid right in. One thing I did notice about the Japanese men (the couch and the bed movers) was that they have EXTREMELY hair legs (hehe). They were very courteous and efficient. They were in and out in no time flat. Unlike in America, they gave us a 2 hour window and they were both here right on time! Imagine that! So, needless to say we are glad to be settling in. It's nice to have somewhere to sit in the living room and it will be AMAZING to have that beautiful bed to cuddle up in tonight.

When Jason was at work today Colton and I decided to take a walk around our neighborhood to see what it had to offer (while there was a pause in the rain). We found about 6 different restaurants and a slew of little shops selling all sorts of whats-its and who-dads. I also spotted a barber shop knowing that Jason has to get his hair cut every week (oh boy). When Jason got home I told him about my findings and we decided to try one of the sushi places for dinner. By now it was raining again, so we'd have to drive. The sushi restaurant was not your average sushi restaurant. It was a "sushi-go-round." In other words you sit at your table and the sushi goes by and if you want to eat it, you grab it off the conveyer belt (usually without knowing what you'll be devouring). I was a little hesitant to say he least, but of course Jason just jumped right in trying nearly everything. Jason finally convinced me to try one I had been wondering about. It looked creamy and was wrapped in seaweed. I finally mustered up the guts to put it into my mouth only to find out it was American style egg salad! What the heck?! Who puts that on sushi. Jason tried one that had salmon and salmon roe! No way was I eating that. He said the eggs didn't pop or ooze or anything in his mouth, so it was quite enjoyable! I did not try it.
On our way home I dropped Jason off at the aforementioned barber shop. Colton and I returned home where I fed him and put him to bed. Jason arrived home soon after and told me this story: I walked in and there was one man giving someone a hair cut. I said, "Does anyone speak English?" One man just nodded his head. Although this gentleman said that he spoke English I am not sure that he did. I sat in the chair and told the man, "Military." I let the man cut my hair and when he was finished it looked like a military cut (and it was only 800 yen). I was pumped because it was so close and so inexpensive that on my way out (I don't know why I even tried to tell him this) I told him that I would be back every Friday from now on! The man seemed very confused and tried to me (I think) that they had a holiday on Monday and Tuesday. I continued to try to tell him that I would be back on Friday. He grabbed a calculator and entered 95 and showed the screen to me, he said something in broken English which I did not understand and everyone in the room laughed so I joined in, said bye-bye and was on my way. Moral of the story: Keep it simple.

1 comment: