Friday, May 10, 2013

Finding an apartment

When Jason checked into his new unit here in Okinawa we were told that on base housing was 98% full. Jason was elated, I was optimistic. We had heard nothing but good things about living off base and were excited to see what Japan had to offer. We contact a few different agencies and saw 9 different apartments in 1 day. This is Jason's style of doing things. We saw some American style apartments that were huge but very old-fashioned. It was almost as if the Japanese people decorated them thinking that is what we like but were a little off base. We saw some Japanese style houses. We decided we wanted a Japanese style. They were must smaller, but so much prettier and, for lack of a better word, fun! We decided to go with one that is a 2 bed/1 bath with a Japanese prayer room. The toilet and the bath tub aren't in the same room and our toilet has about 15 different buttons we can push on it (again, all in kanji). Japanese people don't use ovens so we do not have one of those. I think this will take some getting used to. The 2 main walls in the living room are nothing but windows which look out onto the ocean. Its beautiful. I cannot wait to move in!


(this is our realtor Miki)

After we decided that this was our place we had to meet with the realtor at his office to sign the lease and go over some paperwork. We obviously do not know our way around and cannot read kanji so we cannot follow directions because we can't read street names, we had to meet an agent in the parking lot right outside the gate onto Camp Foster. We find the woman we need to follow and end up at an office (if you can call it that). It was probably 85 degrees in there and humid! Colton was up past his bed time, was hungry and was cranky. The agent, Miki, told us that it wouldn't be longer than an hour so I was confident I could keep Colton happy until we got back to our temporary lodging. Colton was hungry, did I forget to mention that? When Colton is hungry he MUST be fed! I asked if there was anywhere I could feed him and was ushered to an area towards the back of the office. I told him I needed to breastfeed him. Although Miki spoke VERY good English he did not know that word. Jason continued to act it out for him. Miki was young. Upon realizing what we were talking about he got very panicked and quickly ushered me to the aforementioned sweaty bathroom. I found myself sitting on a pink toilet, in a sweaty office in Japan and I thought to myself, "I didn't think I'd be doing this today."

No comments:

Post a Comment