Saturday, August 31, 2013

Okinawa World

One of the friends I made out here (thank God) told me about a place that she had visited last weekend called Okinawa World. I thought it was just caves, but turns out there is more to it than just that.



After finding it no problem, we're getting so good at navigating. The only reason for that is we realized that our iPhone will let you load the directions at home where we are connected to the wireless internet and then somehow still leads you as you go on your route. Only problem is it can't re-route you and it doesn't tell you how to get home. Those are the fun times. The first time we used it and realized it didn't take us home we were like, "Well, here we go." We got turned around a few times, but overall we do ok, I think. We bought our tickets and headed down into the caves. People say you should wear pants and sweatshirts when going down here. If you ever come to Okinawa and go to Okinawa World do not listen to them. We were sweating in our shorts and tank tops and Colton was in the Ergo and he was a hot mess when he finally woke up and got out of it. DO NOT WEAR PANTS. It was so amazing. I had never been in a cave before, Jason said he was in some when he went to Arizona or somewhere with his mom. Caves rule.



This lady and her dog (there behind Jason) were just outside the caves entrance. We had gotten some vouchers for 1000 yen so we decided to get one and use that to get the copy of the pic. Turned out pretty good. I'm glad we did it (Jason tried getting them to use our camera to take the pic, hehe).

Inside the caves there was water all around the bottom (I suppose that was what was carving it out in the first place...) We were so surprised when we saw fish! Weird white fish sitting completely still in the water. At the exit to the cave there was a little "market" I guess you could call it. Samples of pickled daikon, fresh fruit juices and some crafty stuff. Jason and  I got some fresh squeezed juice. I got pineapple (yum, but warm) and Jason got some weird mix with passion fruit, needless to say it was not so delish.

After that we walked down to catch the Eisa Drum Show. It was maybe about 10 drummers and a few men dressed up as the dragon in the show. It was a pretty neat show. At one point though, they were taking members from the audience (quite a few) and had them all line up. Each volunteer walked up to the dragon, the dragon opened its mouth and the person put their head inside the dragons mouth. Nothing happened and then the person went to sit down. That was it. Weird.

Then we got some lunch at a buffet that they had on site there. It was right next to the drum show. After browsing the buffet tables we realized we didn't like much that was on the menu. There was curry (which is delicious) but it was almost gone and the Japanese people that were there showed no sign of stopping. There was a lot of vegetables - fried, steamed, roasted - you name it. They had it. Of course white rice and fried rice (also almost all gone). They also had a salad bar. Mind you, the salad here consists of cabbage sliced super thing with sesame dressing (which is delish) and croutons - if you're lucky. This place had croutons! I guess we should've been impressed. I did find the kiddy table of food. This is where I filled up. Meatball things, French fries and what I thought was spring rolls. I got back to the table and realized that the spring rolls were not that at all - they were little hot dogs! Ew! They looked like spring rolls because the way the "casing" was getting loose toward the end. Ick - needless to say,  I didn't eat those.

After I filled up (sorta) on weird kiddy Japanese food and lots of cabbage salad (with croutons) Jason wanted to see the "Snake Show." I was not thrilled about it, but what the heck? I'm so glad we went. Hilarious. Not only was it funny sitting in a room where EVERYONE was speaking Japanese, but they were doing a little information (I think) prelude to the show. All Japanese. Needless to say, it was the longest 10 minutes of my life - listening to someone ramble on and on basically speaking gobble-dee-gook. After all the rambling and showing us how a snake can pop a balloon - not sure what was so interesting about that, I thought we all knew a snake could pop a balloon, they brought out the thing that made Jason want to go. A snake racing a mongoose (I know - we thought the same thing you're thinking). They were in these little cages at the far left side of the stage about to be dropped into a tube filled with water where we guessed they would be racing. The mongoose was so cute by the way - Timon doesn't do him justice, not even close. You would just assume that the snake would win - it would just have to swish it's "tail" twice and it would be done, but the snake was completely confused and going in the wrong direction while the mongoose was booking it to the other side. I'm not sure if the mongoose normally wins because everyone seemed pretty shocked. Again - I'll never know because of the gobble-dee-gook.

This is us watching the show.

Colton more cared about the ladies behind us.


Overall, I'm glad my girlfriend told me about it. It was definitely something worth seeing. Colton was a perfect angel the whole time and slept the whole way home. We just love that little stinker!

I have more pics of the show with the race happening and some other ones, but I can't find my memory sticks :( Wish me luck. They have every picture from when Colton was little on there. WHEN I find them, I will add more pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment